Friday 24 May 2013

Tasty Tuesday ... On Friday: Marble Cake

Just for the fun of it early one morning last week I whipped up a marble cake which was devoured on the weekend by all on the Tablelands. It was pretty tasty I must say.

Marble Cake

Ingredients:

500g butter (166g)
3 cups caster sugar (1 cup)
6 cups SR flour (2 cups)
1tbsp vanilla essence (1tsp+)
6 eggs (2 eggs)
2 cups milk (2/3 cup)
1/2 cup coco powder (a bit)
Pink food colouring
 

Method
  1. Grease a 26cmx36cm baking dish/ line with baking paper.
  2. Beat butter, vanilla essence and sugar until fluffy.
  3. Beat in eggs, one at a time, until combined. 
  4. Stir in sifted flour and milk in two batches.
  5. Divide mixture evenly among three bowls and tint one portion pink then stir coco and a little extra milk into another.
  6. Drop large spoonfuls of each mixture into the prepared pan then run a knife or skewer through the mixture for a marble effect.
  7. Cook in a moderate oven 180*C for about 1hr or until cooked when tested.
  8. Stand cake and cool before icing or dusting with icing sugar.
 


I only made 1/3 of this mixture to make the cake above (approx 20cmx20cm)
 
 
I then made chocolate icing for my marble cake and sprinkled it with pink sprinkles.
 
 
This recipe was found in the smoko section of the Corner Country Cooking book from the Boulia, Bedourie and Birdsville ICPA.
 

 
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

  1. Looks good, did you change how much went into the cake? I might try it here as I cook cakes for Vicki to take to work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just made 1/3 of the mix and have put the measurements beside the original.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments add sunshine to my day ... so leave as many as you like.