Tuesday 18 March 2014

Saint Paddy's Day

Well, well, well ... Saint Patrick's Day already. The national day, sorry the global celebration, that means we can wear green, eat green, drink green and celebrate all things Irish. The year is whizzing by already.

Locally the brewery in town made green beer just for the occasion that was sold at a couple of premises but at work we just stuck to the sweet and sugary stuff in green. 

For work I made some vanilla cup cakes, heavily laced with food colouring and what a pretty colour they ended up. They were iced with some lime flavoured icing and sprinkled with green sugar. I was even going to green up on the clothing front but forgot. It turns out though that I somehow managed to wear the other colour of the day, orange.


Now many know that St Patrick's Day is about Ireland. Many also know it is actually a celebration of a well know Irish Saint who was said to have banished all the snakes from Ireland. He was apparently kidnapped from Romano Britain at age 16 by Irish raiders and taken to Gaelic Ireland as a slave. He then spent 6 years as a shepherd. He then escaped and fled to the coast and caught a ship back home. He became a priest and then returned to Ireland to convert pagans to Christianity. He is said to have converted 1000s over his time there until his death. The shamrock, a symbol attached to St Paddy's Day is what he is supposed to have used to describe the holy trinity to the Irish.

As a child I remember going to school dressed in green and taking heavily green food dyed foods to share. I remember spending time studying Ireland, limericks, poetry and legends of Ireland such as that pot of gold at the end of the rainbow, which I have yet to find.

This St Patrick's Day I kept my eye open for all things green.
I found some things inside at work.


Along with some green things outside.


What do you remember doing for St Paddy's Day at school?
Did you do anything this year?
Do you have Irish heritage?

4 comments:

  1. Oh I love St Patrick's Day, love the colour Green, and especially those little tea cups!!!! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The tea cups are so cute. They had so many pretty cups and pots.

      Delete
  2. Those tea cups are gorgeous. I don't do much at all for St Pats day! The only thing Irish about me is the surname I got through marriage lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are very pretty cups. This is the most I've done in years. There is nothing Irish about me.

      Delete

Your comments add sunshine to my day ... so leave as many as you like.