Monday 30 March 2015

Sugar Bush at Sunset

I'm a bit of a sweet tooth. How about you?

I am a self confessed chocoholic and I think the best time to eat desert is anytime but breakfast works well because it is before I've gotten too full of other food to really enjoy it.


Sugar cane, noble cane, sugar bush or whatever you want to call that tall, high sugar content grass that is grown in warm, tropical areas so that you can have sugar in your tea, coffee, cake and chocolate (well that is unless you've gone sugar free but that is your choice) is reaching for the sky around here.


North and south of town you can see paddocks of sugar cane stretching away from the highway. You don't have to go far to find it.


Go down a side road and you are surrounded.


Mountains and sugar cane, you can't get much more tropical looking than that, unless you add in a bit of beach and a palm tree into the mix.


I get to the late afternoon on the weekend and am just itching to get out and find a sunset. So I do, sometimes. Saturday I wanted a different sunset location, not the usual over water thing. So I headed south for an over the sugarcane look.No particular spot in mind I just drove and stopped and took photos, drove some more then stopped and took photos. You get the idea.


When living on the station sunset photos were pretty much part of my daily routine. Living here and working a night shift I have lost the freedom to do it all the time. That would be why I get that itch to do it when I am home at the right time.


I decided along the way to take photos of the same cane I had taken a few months ago when the mill was pumping out steam in the background.


There are a few more months to go yet before harvest. 


Over that time the stalks will hopefully thicken, sugar content will increase.


Then the cane will flower, a sign that it is about ready to harvest. 


It will be cut and left to reshoot for next year or the paddock will be replanted. It repeats, season after season. Mr Sparky has noticed the decrease in cane but I just see the miles of green, waving sugarcane everywhere up here. As the price of sugar changes the amount of sugarcane goes up and down. I just like my romantic swaying, green stalks view though.


I chose my sunset spot and despite what the number of photos looks like, I watched the sun speed towards the mountain tops.

 

Or maybe I just wasn't keeping track of time.


The sun seems to do that though. One moment it is slowly slipping from the sky and the next it has sped by, setting in the blink of an eye.




One moment the clouds are white, the sky blue and the cane green then the next everything is gold.




I just had a thought, I don't recall ever munching on a stalk of sugarcane. I had better rectify that sometime.


 

The sun dipped below the top of the sugarcane, rays of light highlighting the mountains. The world became a magical place.







Then it is done, the sun gone from view, the clouds turned pink and orange and the sky to the east soft pinks and blues. It is a relaxing end to the day and a reminder that no matter how crappy your day there was beauty in it. I guess that is why I love sunsets.


Do you ever take time to watch the sunset?
Do you sometimes wish it happened at a more convenient time of day like not when you should be making dinner?
Do you sometimes go 'screw dinner, it'll wait' like I do?

If you answered no to these questions I strongly advise you change your answer and go chase a sunset, even if you have to bring others with you.


4 comments:

  1. I really should go screw dinner but I don't. Love sunset shots. And true story I knew nothing about sugar cane until I moved to Australia!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really! Interesting. I know Emily, sometimes worrying about dinner later just won't work.

      Delete
  2. There are times at sunset when I know I should just jump in the car and chase it with my camera. I do have to just do it! I have made a pact with myself lately to tackle these thoughts head on. I put things off too much and regret it. Fab photos Anne x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes I don't do it either Alicia and then wish I did. Not only is it me time it washes the day away. Thanks for your comments.

      Delete

Your comments add sunshine to my day ... so leave as many as you like.