Friday 18 May 2018

One year on ...

 I haven't blogged much over the last 12 months or so, I guess the little munchkin may have a lot to do with it. It hasn't been just that though, life has seemed to be so much more grit than giggles, grit that I'm not sure I've wanted to share or maybe it is that I figure all grit isn't anyone's cup of tea. I didn't want to be a Debbie Downer. I've missed it, blogging that is, yet I haven't. Then again I have shared a lot of pretty squares over in Instagram to fill the void.

 
Over the last year I could have written of the tiredness, the mundane, about the child who didn't want to sleep, the screaming, of the feeding issues, about banging my head against a brick wall in regards to finding out why my child was so unhappy, about my health issues, about waiting for appointments, of vomit, of tears and so much more. Some of this may come to the fore yet, but then it may not. Maybe I should have shared, it could have been cathartic, it could have helped.


It hasn't all been bad though, far from it (although some days I look back and feel it was a lot more bad than it should have been). I could have also shared about the fabulous women and mothers I have met, about family trips, of the giggles, smiles, firsts, of going back to work, of the friendships, activities and love. I guess I just couldn't put my heart into it though. Maybe I still will or maybe that chapter is done and dusted. The thing is though that parenting, I have found is all of that. The good and the bad, the grit and the giggles. 


Funnily enough, when I first started this blog this was what I had in mind. I was sharing the grit and giggles of daily life on a station but more to the point hoping to share the grit and giggles of working with the children I did. I figured that it might carry over into the grit and giggles of my own family. There has just seemed to be a tropical hiatus in there, but then that has been part of my life too. I've thought, maybe if I start again, a new space to share the heart might come back to it but then I am rather attached to the name and really what I want this blog to be hasn't changed that much, just the location. Anyway a post about what I have learned over this past twelve months is now changing into a description of what this space is about. Maybe that isn't a bad thing though, to remind myself what this space is about so that I want to use it again. Or maybe I just need a cooler alliterated name ( non alliterated). I fear my brain has turned to too much mush for that though.


5 comments:

  1. Blogs evolve over time as the life of the writer does ........just go with and write what you want ..... You will keep your old readers and /or find some new ones ........ This is your space and you make it what you want ......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for that, it is something I realise and really I am really attached to the name ;) so I don't think I'll be moving anywhere else for now. I think it was just good to put thoughts out there to sort it out in my own head.

      Delete
  2. Blogs do evolve and motherhood is far more difficult than people let on. I have two children and the 2nd didn't sleep, (at all), and had health issues. Throw in a husband who traveled for work and that made for a horrendous first two years. Things get better!!!!! Children grow and mature and so do the parents.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blogs certainly do evolve but so do our lives and ourselves.
      To start with motherhood was what I expected but then it wasn't so much, once that newborn bubble disappeared. No one says what a huge change it is (maybe it takes a while for that to sink in) and even if they do, we in our naivety don't really listen or understand. I've worked with children for as long as I've worked and know what they are like at various ages but this is so much more, and 24/7, which is probably what makes it the most difficult. That and the fact that essentially you are changing who you are and have no control over that, no matter how much you do to try and keep the old you. The best thing is knowing there are others who are or have been in the same boat and it really is normal. I'll have to get back to you on the easier and growing and maturing but I'll take your word for it. Most people survive this parenthood gig so I guess it mustn't be too bad for us :D Thanks for popping by and your encouragement.

      Delete
  3. ...I hope that you can find more giggles each day!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments add sunshine to my day ... so leave as many as you like.